Friday, August 26, 2011

Roseola Infantum

Note: This is not my baby as you can see by the brown hair but the rash is pretty accurate, poor E.C.
First things first, I LOVE my first rotation. I mean the days are long. We hardly get breaks from either seeing patients or running up to the hospital to do rounds, admitting orders, ect. And I am exhausted by the end of the day, but I love everything about it.  I never realized how intimate of a profession this is until the past week.  The doctor I am working with is teaching me so much and is so kind and patient with me.  First impression: Love her.  I have been scrubbing in for surgery (2 c-sections to date) and got the chance to be there for a vaginal birth. Everytime I see a baby take it's first breath and make it's first noises I am on the verge of tears. Then Mommy and Daddy kiss and proclaim their love. Life is blissful on a birthday.
Not so blissful, is an eleven month old giving you burning hot hugs and kisses. That is life at home the past week. I mean I would never turn down an Ellie kiss, even if it cauderizes my skin off. But it is so sad to see my little princess suffering. She has been so whiney and docile lately that I have been worried. Poor baby is getting all four of her top teeth right now, so naturally I attributed her fever to teething. Rookie mistake. I realized this when the fever lasted way longer than it should have and then a rash erupted.  Ah! I'm the derm guru right? wrong. When it is your child everything you once knew is gone and worst case scenerios are amplified. Safe to say its not the measels or scarlet fever. I was worried because she hasn't been vaccinated with her MMR, but thankfully the symptoms didn't quite fit. I think she just has what is known as Roseola Infantum and the only thing to worry about with this is febrile seizures, ugh.  
Baby girl has been taking good long naps and fighting the virus like a champ. Tylenol is keeping the fevers down and cuddling mommy is just the thing to make baby a happy girl again. We watched lots of Elmo, got lots of rest, and have hydrated ourselves quite nicely. She is feeling better and starting to act like herself again. Have I mentioned how much I love her lately? I love her more than any mother has loved any child. I know that is a bold statement but I'm not backing down. She is my heaven and I just can't get enough of my Ellie Callait.
 We are still living with the Debruzzi's (Heaven will bless them for their love and kindness they have shown us), but get to move into our new apartment next week. Yay! I'm excited not to have to drive an hour to the hospital and back everyday. Ellie's first birthday is on the horizon: September 14, best day that has ever happened to this world. I can't wait to celebrate! Daddy starts law school on Wednesday. Mimi and Jaxy are planning a trip to the big MA to celebrate Ellie's big day. Lets just say we have a busy next couple of weeks. Keep us in your hearts and prayers as we go through this trasition period.  It can be hard trying to get settled, as most of you know.  Oh what I would give for a routine and a little stability? Keep Ellie in your prayers too. We all send our love from New England haha. 
Love,
Us


No comments:

Post a Comment