Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The BIg Surgery

Today was the big day.  The day the Mama (that's me) has been so nervous yet so relieved about. Ellie girl went through her first and hopefully last surgery experience.
We started the day at five fifteen. Well the alarm went off at five fifteen, but yes, I did press snooze...twice. We woke the princess and were off for Banner Desert Surgical center. Poor baby couldn't eat anything until after the surgery and even my tummy was grumbling by the time she was in pre-op. Good thing she downed half of Daddy's famous guacamole at 11:30 pm haha. She handled it like a champion
Here is the princess on the way to the hospital...at least someone has a smile on at 6am

Ellie and Daddy waiting and reading together 
Matchy Patchy! Just to make sure we leave with the same baby we came with.
 So when we got called back Ellie had to change into a hospital gown. Cutest darn thing I ever did see. She got to sit in the big girl chair and watch cartoons with Mommy and Daddy while in pre-op. We played with all the toys (oh when I say we I mean me and Leon mostly). I tried not to be nervous but the mom of the girl next to us started balling when the doctors came for her little girl and I could feel the fear setting in. Anesthesia is always scary, especially when you don't know how the little one is going to react to it.
Watching cartoons and playing peek-a-boo with Dad

Please try to tell me that is not the cutest picture you ever did see.

She loved all the new toys
 When the nurse came Ellie could feel that something wasn't right and grabbed on in her little monkey way to Daddy.  The nurse peeled her away and she just looked at us like, "Where am I going? Why are you not going with me? Don't leave!" It killed me.  Ripping myself from my little angel was so hard, but this was just a minor thing and only took 15 min so I was just so grateful for my healthy baby.  I can't imagine having to deal with health issues for my little one. I admire and respect mothers that have to carry that burden. 
Ellie and her fan club after she was all done. She cried for about fifteen min. She did not enjoy the experience but once she was given the itouch she completely forgot haha. oh electronics, how good you are to me.

Here is the princess with the itouch on her way home. So sad she looks miserable but I needed to get a picture of the dot above the eye that the surgeon made. I promise she is much better now, goopy eye and all.

It was quite the morning and I hope to never have to do that with my own child again.  It makes me realize that when I am on the other side of the picture (which is in about 13 days ah!) how important it is to treat every child like they are Ellie, because to someone else they are.  She is now taking a good nap right next to me being the perfect little princess that she is.  Her tears were a little blood tinged at first but even that is gone now.  Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers. We feel so blessed to have such wonderful family and friends.
Love, Us

1 comment:

  1. I didn't even know you guys were considering surgery?!? So glad that everything went well and Ellie is fine! Lucas and I were really worried when Erynn's nephrologist was talking surgery. We were so happy when he decided to wait another year and continue Abx. It can be a pain to give her her medicine everyday, but I would rather this than the alternative. Glad that it is all over now before your big move!

    ReplyDelete