Monday, August 8, 2011

Getting rid of the goop


So when sweet Ellie was born, we noticed that her right eye was a little "goopy".  Obviously being first time parents we were a little stressed out by it thinking everything from "ah does she have an infection?" to "is she going to be blind!?"  Our pediatrician calmed us down and let us know that she had a very common condition that is caused by a blockage in the lacrimal sac "tear duct". Ellie ended up having a membrane that never opened.  Mimi said Holli had this until she was 1 and the pediatrician said that it usually clears up on its own within the first couple months of life.
As you all know, I am a "worry wort". My husband makes fun of me all the time because I worry about everything. I am working on it, but it is very hard to overcome.  The medical field is the worst field to go into if you are a so-called "worry wort" because you know all of the things that can go wrong and you somehow find yourself diagnosing the most bizarre things. It is horrible. My poor baby would wake up from a nap and I would look over at her and only one eye would be open. In the back of my head I was thinking everything from a severed facial nerve to trauma to chronic conjuctivitis. But there she was, healthy as can be, just staring at me with her one eye. It kind of freaked me out. So I would rip the other eye open and break through all the crusties that she couldn't do herself. Horrible I tell you, horrible. Anyways, I waited and I waited. I massaged the misses eye everyday with a warm towel in the bath. I even would squirt breast milk in her eye to get that little bugger to heal.  
And Basically here we are 11 months later and her poor eye, although much better, is still goopy. Ah! We went to the eye doctor and after what I consider a little miracle (because of us moving and changing insurance and what not) everything worked out and Ellie is going in for her first surgery tomorrow morning.  Poor baby will be anesthetized which makes the mama very worried (of course).  Keep us in your thoughts and prayers tomorrow. And we will report asap.
Love, Us 

No comments:

Post a Comment