Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Kensington Memorial Park

The weather has been unbelievably beautiful across the pond. The sun has been coming out everyday and the city gets to the mid 80s frequently. This beautiful weather pulls us out of our flat and across the city to explore new places for some water fun. Some of our favorite places to go in London to cool off in the summer include:

-Hyde Park Lido
-Princess Diana Memorial Fountain
-Corams Field's Park Paddling Pool
-Kensington Memorial Garden Splash Pad

Deep in the heart of Kensington is this little gem of a park with an awesome splash pad. Honestly, I feel like Vegas has plenty of splash pads like this, but in London Kensington Memorial Park is one of a kind.

We packed up the stroller with snacks and drinks from the local Sainsbury and we were off. I was a little nervous as I traveled an unfamiliar route to the park with two kids, but when we got there I was so glad. It was full of fun for every age with three different playgrounds and a big splash pad. Ellie loved playing in the sand and climbing the rocket ship. Jet loved splashing in the water. And I loved watching them. I think being their mom is the best thing in the world. Both of my kids are so full of life and happiness. The littlest things can bring them so much joy. Find Ellie a playground and Jet some water and you have a perfect day.

So, we ran around the splash pad together running away from the water, then running into the water, and then crawling through/ sitting in the water. I decided I needed a drink, so I picked up a slushie for Ellie while I was at the snack stand. When I brought it to her, she was so surprised. She looked at me and said, "Thanks mom, you're the best mom!" then I got a big hug. It is moments like this that I live for.

We stayed and played for hours, and when we finally headed home (after giving into Ellie begging for one more second at the park) we took the scenic route. Walking up the almost empty Portobello Rd in Notting Hill around 6pm was wonderful. The shops were just closing up, yet I was still able to lust after all of the eccentric clothing and antique treasures. This market always makes me think of Papa and makes me wish he were here to enjoy it with us.

We stopped for dinner at Nandos, my old BYU study abroad favorite haunt. I love being in that area. It brings back so many great memories. I wonder if one day Fleet street will do the same. I think it probably will. 

The splash pad





The playground

My water baby


Sometimes they play so well

Water fun

warming up


Her slushie



We are so lucky to have such a fun and different opportunity this summer. Although this trip is fantastic, we still miss our family so much. We only have two and a half weeks left here on Fleet street. Its gone by so fast and I still have so many things I want to do. But I can't wait to see my people in just a few short weeks.

We love and miss you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment