Wednesday, June 26, 2013

London Life Pity Party

Here we are on week five of our ten week stint in London. And we are having such a great time. We have been to almost every park in this city and walked probably over 100 miles since we have been here. Crazy, right? And I'm starting to get a little home sick. I am fighting it and telling myself this is such an amazing opportunity and you need to enjoy every second, but I'm starting to cave. 

Let's be honest here, I'm not known for my optimism or my extremely positive attitude. I wish I were but I think my family would more or less call me a worry wart. I am often known to be in a continual state of stress. And what relieves that stress you ask? Well, for some it is shopping, for others it is food, but for me it is sunshine. All I need is some authentic UV rays on my skin and a blue sky above my head and my cortisol levels drop down to normal. Guess what London has little to none of? Sunshine.

It has been gloomy and cloudy here for 75% of our stay. Not to mention we just suffered a long cold Boston winter complete with hurricane sandy and blizzard nemo. Boston winters are not known for their kindness. It is June people, almost July, and I have seen only glimpses of my wonderful, beautiful, golden ball of gas. I don't know what to do. I am going crazy. My poor children. I need some sunshine STAT. I can't do five more weeks of this without some drastic changes in the weather. 

I have also started charting how much money we spend each day in dollars.  This is not helping the situation. This place is way too expensive. I order groceries and spend like $100 dollars and literally get like nothing. I live out of a mini fridge and I don't have a vacuum cleaner. Yes, I do have maids that clean the apartment once a week, but can you imagine what life is like with a crawling 8 month old who puts everything he finds in his mouth, even his own poo (don't ask I'm not ready to laugh about it yet)? It is not the life I am used to that is for sure. 

I miss my people. And all my people are together in my wonderful sunny California heaven of a house. Oh how I wish I were swimming with my little devilish cherubs and eating all of Holli's gourmet dishes. And what I would give for a healthy Kelsie smoothie laying out on a raft listening to a little country music? They are going to the beach this weekend. Oh, the beach (sigh). 

OK pitty party over. Now I will just take my stroller down three flights of stairs, fight with the elevator door hoping it doesn't hurt too bad as I am smooshed trying to get my stroller in, and then enjoy my frizzy hair as I deal with unexpected rain showers and a cloudy stroll down a touristy crowded street.

At least I get to spend my days with these little gooses.






No comments:

Post a Comment