Monday, July 23, 2012

Manti

A quick update:
For our family reunion this year we all spent the weekend in Manti, Utah. Why Manti you ask? Well, thats where both of my grandparents on my mom's side grew up and fell in love with each other. Apparently they met in the second grade and my Papa says he was smitten. Romantic, right? In fact, my ancestors go back to the settlers of this little gem of a town. It is always so fun to go back and learn about all of my heritage, not to mention spend time with my extended family. My grandparents especially love to go to the pageant that is put on every summer. My grandma recalls being a teenager and being able to hear the pageant (which was then at the fairgrounds across from the temple) from her bedroom window. I love hearing stories of that little town and what they did and where they went when they grew up. The place has a sort of small town feel that makes you feel at home.

We spent the weekend in a couple cabins in the mountains near Manti. It was very secluded and beautiful. I wish I would have taken more pictures. We spent one day with the family on the lake where we rented paddle boats, picnicked, and played on the shore. Ellie loved to get in the water and wear her life vest. She was way too cute in that little thing. She also was excited about her mini mouse swim suit. I had to tell her that her zebra swim suit was mini mouse so that she would put it on. I mean it is black, white, and pink. That is totally something that would be mini mouse right? Well, it works, she loves that swim suit and rocks it like a superstar. She loves swimming these days, I can not keep her away from water. She is so my little fish. Well, she had a blast with all the other little kids swimming away and digging in the sand. Leon was the fun one who took the kids out on the paddle boats and played in the water. He is just the best Dad in the entire world. Ellie and Jet are so lucky to have him.  I ran around after Ellie most of the time and caught up with all my favorite family members.





 Family Picnic

One of my favorite things about Manti is the temple. As you drive into the valley this beautiful reminder  is blazing with beauty high on a mountain over looking the whole town. It is the center point of this little town and I love the symbolism that is accompanied with that. Last trip to Manti I didn't get the opportunity to go inside this majestic building, so I definitely was not going to pass up the opportunity this time around. We woke up at like six to make a session at seven thirty. I loved being in this beautiful temple with my family. I would love being in any temple with my family, but especially this one because I know the history this temple had with my ancestors. The love and peace that was felt was indescribable and something I will cherish always. 






Later that afternoon we strolled around Manti. My Papa gave us a tour of his hometown with endless narrative. It made for a great time. We met for dinner at a park where we picnicked and played games. Ellie loved running around after the big kids. She totally thinks she is bigger than she is. She especially loved the parachute Uncle Warren brought. We then headed across the street to the base of the temple for the pageant. Leon loved conversing with all of the protesters. My lawyer husband would argue with a tree if it tried to tell him anti-mormon hogwash. But whatever that is what I love about my hunny bunny, he loves his religion and will stand up for it at all times, in all things, and in all places. He made it back for the pageant just in time and we had a great time watching the story unfold. They always make a few changes to the show every year and I love to see all the new things they do. This year was no disappointment and I'm so glad we had the opportunity to go.









I love family reunions and am so grateful for the time I got to spend with these wonderful people. I'm sure next year won't come fast enough. We love and miss you all!

Love,
Us

No comments:

Post a Comment