Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Paris, France

Bonjour! We made it to France.

Our car hit French soil and we were off to conquer mainland Europe. Leon and I pulled into Paris at around 4am Paris time. We headed straight to our hotel and as we got close, I started to notice that the buildings around us were colored brightly with spray paint and the streets were filled with herds of the homeless. We hit the parking garage and it was full throttle security. I was too tired to care so we dragged the kids out of the car and checked in. People were staring at us from every direction and I was so confused why. Soon I realized that were were the only people with children in the entire hotel. They handed us some extra towels that were not much more sturdy than paper towels and we headed up the elevator. The moment we stepped on our floor I was in shock by the sounds I was hearing. I immediately wanted to cover my children's ears. I looked at Leon in horror and that is when I started putting the pieces together. We walked into our room and I felt like I was in a dorm room. The floors were wood and there were bunk beds. The toilet still had urine in it and the pillow cases had gashes through them. I wanted to cry, but it was four in the morning and we had no other option but to just flush the toilet and go to sleep. Leon just kept apologizing and promising me all the other hotels were 4 stars. Ellie was elated and she loved sleeping on the high bed. In fact, she later told us when we were settling into our 4 star Switzerland hotel that she wanted to go back to the dirty scary hotel. Not going to happen baby girl. Ever.

The next morning we left our scary Ibis hotel and decided to have a picnic lunch outside the Eiffel Tower. We drove the streets of Paris and I honestly felt like I was living a dream. The streets were full of markets and bicycles. The buildings were so romantic in their baroque and rococo styles. Ah, the city was so alive and so...French. Last time I was in Paris my bones were frozen and people were throwing money at me in the subway. Don't ask. Let's just say this was a completely different experience and I was loving it. We passed the Arc d' Triumph and the Lourve. We drove down Champs-'Elysees and passed what felt like hundreds of French carousals. We parked our silver stallion and headed straight for a French Patisserie. Leon ordered a delicious warm baguette, cheese bread, and chocolate croissants. We also grabbed some fresh cheese at a local market.

Our Bakery
Oh Yum

Some Pink chairs for my pink girl

hitting the market

I couldn't help but feel so in love with my little family that day. We found our way to the green grass across from the Eiffel Tower and sat down for lunch. Point blank, it was delectable. There is nothing better than fresh bread and cheese, yum. Ellie ran around and Jet loved being free from the Ergo. We took pictures and made friends. Ellie got to ride a horse around the park and play at a playground shaded by the tower itself. We even had our first experience with gypsies.

Our picnic lunch



My little cutie






After lunch, we took to the streets. We walked to the Arch d' Triumph and then down Champs-'Elysees fueling up on water and ice cream. Of course we took breaks at fountains and patches of grass to cool off our toes and play monster respectively. We found our way to the Lourve and took a stroll down the Seine river. It was breathtaking and something I hope I never forget. There were little markets on the river and lining the river were yachts that were full of french families enjoying each other's company and soaking up the last sun rays of the day. As the sun was setting we could see the shadowed Eiffel tower in the distance and I couldn't stop thinking I had to be in a dream. This couldn't be real life. This couldn't be MY real life. But it was and I was happy.





The Lourve



We finished our stroll, we probably walked at least six miles, and found our way back to the silver stallion. I made Leon go back to the bakery and see if he could find me some eclairs, unfortunately he couldn't find any but he did come back with more chocolate croissants. I may or may not have eaten my weight in carbs that day.

Our stroll down the Siene
Then we headed to Notre Dame Cathedral. This was such a spiritual experience for both me and Leon. The building is incredible and imagining the work and sacrifice that went into creating such a place was humbling to say the least. We walked around and talked about Jesus. This is always my favorite subject with little Ellie. Her spirit is so sweet and pure. I sure am grateful for my little princess and for my Savior Jesus Christ.

Notre Dame in the distance




After we payed our respects to the cathedral, we decided it was time to grab some dinner. This was about the time the camera and the phone died. Sad day. But thankfully the night was one of my all time favorites in my life and I will always remember the memories we made. We found a little creperie and stuffed our faces with the most amazing crepes. Ah France, you fed me well.


It was dark by now and Paris was just shimmering in the moonlight. We decided that going back to our disgusting hotel was the last thing we wanted to do, so we made our way up to Sacre Coeur. This Basilica overlooked the city and we sat ourselves on a hill just taking in the warm night air and the dazzling views. The Eiffel Tower was sparkling and vendors were throwing and selling glow in the dark trinkets. There was such a neat ambiance about the place. I could have sat on that hill forever. My little man asleep on my stomach, my little princess running around in front of me, and my big man's arms wrapped around me. It was heaven I tell you...heaven.
But, Alas, we had to leave and we had to go back to the dirty hotel. Thankfully, when we got there it was quiet and we went straight to sleep excited for our week ahead of us and our drive to Switzerland in the morning. France was perfect. It was the perfect start to our amazing week. I could relive that day over and over.

No comments:

Post a Comment